For a woman, there’s only thing worse than the number of candles on her birthday cake. And that is a wrong gift. It is that moment of truth when she eagerly tears the wrapping off a present. The silence that follows can be deafening… Ever been a witness to such a scene or been at the receiving end of one yourself? It’s enough to have you squirming uncomfortably every time you recall that moment.
Of course, every woman is different. But there are some universal truths that you need to be aware of if you don’t want to be headed to the doghouse.
Here are the top 5 worst birthday gifts for a woman that you must avoid at all costs.
1. Household gadgets. Yes, this figures in almost every such list. This is a no-brainer but still cannot be stressed enough. No household gadgets or kitchen appliances like vacuum cleaners, toasters, dishwashers – unless, you know she has specifically asked for them. There’s nothing remotely romantic about giving a woman any item that reminds her of the drudgery of daily chores. Or makes her feel that as far as you are concerned, her place is in the kitchen.
2. Cash. Unless you want her to feel really insulted, this could easily be the worst kind of gift you can give your girlfriend on her birthday. It amounts to telling her that you don’t have enough time to go and buy her a gift and that she should do the honours for herself. Worse, she might feel she is being ‘paid’ for being your girlfriend.
3. ‘Age-defying’ miracle products. Beyond a point, age is no friend of a woman. On the other hand, age-defying creams and potions and lotions are. But, that does not mean that you can go ahead and give her a gift hamper of beauty products that promise to return her lost youth to her. You see, that’s like admitting to her that she is, well, not quite the fresh bloom she used to be. Insensitive and tactless? Oh yes, big time!
4. Don’t get stingy. Yes, we know. It is the thought that counts. But what were you thinking by pinching pennies anyway? If you expect her to go into ecstasies over something that was obviously picked up in the bargain basement, then you need to quickly read up some good manuals on women’s psyche. A woman seems to have an inbuilt radar that can somehow sift the tacky from the top-drawer gifts. Getting a cheap bottle of a revoltingly strong perfume as a birthday present from her man is not what a woman expects or even deserves. Birthdays are all about making her feel special.
5. Fashion accessories. Let’s leave the women to buy that for themselves because most men aren’t clued in on what makes women’s fashion tick. Worse, allowing yourself to be guided by overzealous sales personnel can result in getting her something that she doesn’t wear or doesn’t really suit her, never mind if you spent a small fortune on it.
So, the next time you go shopping for your girlfriend’s birthday, do some thinking and planning. Better still, take an expert with you – in other words, a female pal or even your sister. And you’ll avoid these bloopers!