It’s easy to get complacent when it comes to special occasions such as birthdays or anniversaries. Of course, this is not good. It is healthy to take a break once in a while and it’s gratifying to do something special for someone you care about. One creative birthday idea that you can do for your boyfriend or husband is to organise a surprise party for him! Here are the steps you should follow to organise a successful surprise party:
- Your first step in constructing a successful surprise party is to pick a date. You can make the date on the actual birthday or a few days after. You need to make sure that the date you choose is a date he has free in his calendar.
- Once you have a date, it’s time to pick a location. The location can be anywhere: your home, your friends or family’s home or his favorite restaurant. The key thing when making this decision is realizing that somehow you are going to have to get all the invitees there, then lead your boyfriend or husband there without blowing the ruse.
- Now that you have a date and location, it’s time to make a diversion. If you make no mention of his birthday leading up to the big day he might get upset or suspicious. You overcome this by creating a diversion. Tell him that you want to go for dinner, just the two of you, for his birthday. Make sure you don’t organise the diversion date long before the birthday because it will seem odd – a week or two before should be fine.
- Use one or two trustworthy people to help you prepare because preparing a party on your own is a tough job. You need to coordinate the invitations, food, decorations, music, a birthday cake, and (optionally) a theme for the party.
- Send out the invitations to the masses at the latest possible time. Only close friends and relatives should know beforehand. The reason for this is simple – to avoid flapping tongues! Be sure to highlight the fact that it is a SURPRISE on the invitations. Guests need to know the venue, arrival time as well any particular dress code for the event. Ensure that you set their arrival time to 30 minutes before the time when you plan to do the actual surprise.
- The big day has arrived and it’s time to set the plan in motion. Either you or one of your collaborators has to set up the decorations and ensure that all the guests know what they are doing. Are they all shouting “Happy Birthday” or “Surprise”? They need to be told. If you are doing the surprise at a restaurant, you need a way to warn the guests that your boyfriend is coming so that they can start clearing their throats. If you are doing it at home, this is a lot easier because he will knock on the door and that will be your warning, but remember to tell guests to park far away so as not to ruin the surprise.
All in all, you need to have a relaxed attitude about “getting caught”. Even if you do get caught, there’s a good chance you won’t even know because your boyfriend will not want to hurt your feelings by telling you that he knows. Remember that the most important thing is that he knows how much you care for him because you have gone to all this trouble to throw him a party. That’s why you don’t need to fret if you suspect you have been discovered. Simply carry on organising the event as though you are 100% certain he doesn’t have a clue.