A birthday letter is a form of an informal letter. Birthday letters are of two types. One is written to send greetings to the loved ones on their birthday. These are known as birthday greetings letters. The second type involves inviting the loved ones to the upcoming birthday party. These are called birthday invitation letters. These letters can be written by a family member, friend, or a close associate. As birthday letter is an informal letter, its format is flexible and the language is casual. Moreover, birthday letters are usually handwritten. Unlike formal letters, there is lot of scope to use different colors, different calligraphic styles, pictures, etc. to decorate the letter.
Birthday letters can be written between:
• Husband and Wife
• Parents and Children
• Colleagues, and
Birthday is a very special moment in an individual's life. Here, birthday letters should express warmth and happiness. Given below are certain essentials for writing a birthday invitation letter:
• Date of the birthday party – the invitation letter should especially mention the date and day of the party. Keeping into consideration the hectic schedules of people, birthday parties are generally organized on weekends rather than on the exact day of birth. Here, mentioning the date of the party becomes very important.
• Venue of the party – Mentioning the venue is equally important as the date of the party. Ensure that the complete address of the venue is accurately written in the letter. If you feel that the invitees will find it difficult to reach the venue without appropriate landmarks, then enclose a road map to the venue with the invitation letter.
• Time of the party – To avoid any embarrassment of reaching the venue late or very early, it is important to mention the time when the party will start.
• Theme of the party – If the birthday party is to be organized around a theme, then the party theme must be stated in the invitation letter. However, the theme must be simple and self-explanatory. For example, Hollywood movies of the 70's.
• Any other message – For example, if you intend not to receive any gifts from the invitees on your birthday party, it is important to mention the same in the letter. However, the language of such messages should be warm and friendly.
One needs to ensure that the birthday invitation letters or the greeting letters should reach the concerned person on or before the special day.